Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Tribute List of Perfumes for Pina Bausch

Hi Everyone:
I finally managed to sneak out and see my first film of the New Year. PINA: A Film for Pina Bausch. Wim Wenders' tribute film that gives us a glimpse of the choreographer by weaving her dynamic choreography along side poignant confessionals, sometimes longing, sometimes joyful, by her grieve stricken dancers. Bausch passed-away suddenly right before Wenders started filming. There are many amazing moments in the film that celebrate her choreography, and the use of 3-D technology has finally found its purpose with Dance. At times, you can almost feel yourself breathing and walking with the company. The film manages to catch a glimpse of the heightened reality of performance (watch the trailer below). After the film, I thoughtfully began to construct my tribute list of perfumes for Pina Bausch, inspired by the film and its portrait of her, her dancers and dances...  It goes like this.

Sottile 1.61 YOSH    
An ethereal and buoyant, yet steady exhale of Muget and Tea Rose, thoroughly modern, how did she do that? Beauty and Magic combined.

Eau De Campagne  Sisley   
Expansive and green, next time take a Tomato Leaf and press it in between your thumb and index finger, inhale deeply, and catch a glimpse of Campagne.

(untitled)  Maison Martin Margiela Parfums   
Green, twiggy, earthy-Green, twiggy, earthy 
(repeat intended)

Chamade  Guerlain   
The fluttering heartbeat of Hyacinth and Blackcurrant 

KIKI  Vero Profumo 
A mentholated dose of Lavender meets a golden nutty sweetness, creating dissonance, harmony, and finally a cadence. A wild and bold statement with a fine dry-down. 

Here's the trailer for PINA: A Film for Pina Bausch

6 comments:

  1. You imbibe my senses with color in my nose, fragrance in my eyes, and you in my memory of dance and Pina. Such gorgeous prose. Thank you! xK.J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest K.J. Holmes,
    Coming from you this means everything.
    Thank you! ox

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing Val - and your writing is so rich - gorgeous - like K.J said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol,
    Thanks so much for these kind words, and taking my advise and seeing the film too! Ha.
    Valerie ox

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. such an original response to Pina Bausch. I want your scent list for me.

    Lanz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Lanz,

    It's exciting to be able to filter an experience through a specific lens, so I surprised myself when this list kind of poured out of me after seeing the film. It was refreshing to have such a strong response.

    I would love to make a scent list for you.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete