Friday, April 1, 2011

Maria Sibylla Merian


My fascination with perfume has been with me all my life, ever since I can remember. The art of perfumery informs my  my world. There are many who share this passion both inside and outside the industry. All these people, bottles, places, and interactions are captured here in this blog.  Hopefully shaping and getting me closer to understanding it even more.

While reading Chandler Burr's book, The Perfect Scent, I began to make the connection that many of the perfumes that I admire and wear were created by Jean Claude Ellena. Ellena’s idea that he is creating “haikus” with his perfume; not replicating nature, rather creating a  new form that is reverent to minimalism. His fragrances evoke a place, real or abstract; creating something that is lasting out of something that is completely ephemeral. His manipulation of synthetics, as well as the idea that naturals are not necessarily better than synthetics has certainly allowed for more experimentation and experiences in perfumery. In Burr's book, Jean Claude Ellena quotes Picasso, “Art is a lie that tells the truth”.  Ellena says, “I lie. I create an illusion that is actually stronger than reality.”  

Above drawing is by Botanist Maria Sibylla Merian.  

1 comment:

  1. Shame that they decided to ignore the annual world autism awareness day completely. Quoting from the United Nations web page: "The rate of autism in all regions of the world is high and it has a tremendous impact on children, their families, communities and societies" "International attention is essential to address stigma, lack of awareness and inadequate support "

    ReplyDelete