Thursday, April 7, 2011

Galbanum

Smelling Galbanum is an amazing thing. This green note has a peppery side to it. Soon after inhaling, I immediately feel closer to nature. I'm surrounded by a lush landscape thick and overgrown with pine and weeds that are thick and milky. Soil that is dark and moist, and thistles and their thorns that will scratch you if you don't lift your leg high enough. Then just when I think, wow you can't get any greener than this, it tricks me and I get hit with a good dose of burnt leaves...? I'm not sure. Then Jillian said, it's like a dirty ashtray. Yes, like a bunch of pressed cigarette butts sitting close together in their burnt out little home. The way it's made was described to me like this: Galbanum is a resin. A natural pathological product, when you cut the plant the gunk that comes out of it is dried and processed. Galbanum is the tough guy of green notes.   

Earth and Green by Mark Rothko     

No comments:

Post a Comment