Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Snapshot 3: My Sister and No. 6, "M"

One summer my sister and her friend took a summer job landscaping and mowing lawns. They were just 18, fierce, and the only girls in the back of a pick-up truck full of shirtless landscapers. At the end of the day, my sister would arrive home, super tan, sweaty and smelling of gasoline and cut grass. She would take off her permanently stained sneakers, immediately shower, change and get ready to go out. Prior to running out the side door, she would spray Rive Gauche on her body and clothes. Rive Gauche  and her adolescence trailing behind her......beautiful.


M is also beautiful. It screams adolescent rebellion, but the juice is contained and stays close to the skin. My first impressions: wild-animalic; leather; spicy/cardamon/warm; berry; deep purple center; grassy/diesel; some sweetness/anise; way sexy. I read somewhere that a fine fragrance will allow the skin to come through it, M does this. It is porous. Perfumer, Yann Vasnier collaborated with label, Ohne Titel, designers, Flora Gill and Alexa Adams, to create No. 6, M.  Gill and Adam's image grace the perfume's box; quite conceivably another pair of fierce friends.


If you don't already know, there are 6 fragrances created for Six Scents, Series Three; it launched about a year ago. All six perfumes were conceived by different perfumers and designers, and each represents the designers’ expression of how scent memory has shaped their adolescence and identity. 

 

Photo: Patti Smith, 1976, Bowery




4 comments:

  1. I'm reposting this, but feeling a bit foolish. I'm thinking that the photo is of your sister...and then I see the Patti Smith credit. While i'm sure your sister was bada$$, she probably didn't know Patti Smith!
    What I said was the glamour of your family never ceases to amaze me....
    I've learned so much from this post alone and once i explore further, will learn even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smell of gas and grass. U-ummm.

    Been loving this journal Soliflore:

    http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/photos-of-the-moment/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Kim,
    Thanks so much for visiting me here at Soliflore Notes. I'm really touched by your comment especially since I know that perfume is not usually on your radar. Do I dare say a signature fragrance is in your future. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. j. Vivienne, Hello and thank you so much for sharing the photos of the moment. I've certainly been enjoying these and hope others will as well. Have a great evening. Valerie

    ReplyDelete