Thursday, March 8, 2012

Layering at Jo Malone

Layering fragrances can bring out the wannabe perfumer in me; I find it requires a certain focus and attention, and dare I say, a spark of inspiration to make it work, and if it does work it creates something that is completely personal. Combining can enhance or hide a certain note or aspect of a fragrance that ultimately creates something new. When my friend and I found ourselves at Jo Malone Boutique on Bleecker Street a few months ago, we were invited back to have a complementary arm and hand massage. So when I arrived yesterday evening, little did I know that I was going to get a chance to layer. As I was smelling Lime Basil & Mandarin, I slowly noticed that the layout of the boutique with its round table that holds most of the collection, creates an atmosphere perfect for smelling and conversation. When my friend arrived, we were asked to find three fragrances that we thought would layer well together, these three fragrances would be used for the three part massage that included a soak and cleanse, a lotion massage, and a final spray. I guess I didn't know until last night that the line's main concept is centered around combining, flocks of people are collecting it just for this purpose. I think the idea of making something of your own out of something that already exists is a smart one, it's sort of like doctoring a boxed cake. So I began to spray and smell and in a fairly quick turnaround, I produced a trio that I was quite happy with. White Jasmine & Mint for the wash, Anise & Vanilla for the lotion, and Rose Water & Vanilla, Cologne Intense for the spray. As I sat and caught up with my dear friend, talking as we do so intensely about fragrance, we were together happily sipping tea and smelling each layer as it was applied; I was reminded in life you have to seek out your little piece of happiness, and for an hour or so I was exactly where I wanted to be.

I browsed the Jo Malone website today and they have layering suggestions for each of their fragrances entitled, The Art of Combining. I'm so happy they don't have this list anywhere in the boutique, I suppose some would find it helpful, but I prefer to work for my fragrance.


If you have the time please revisit my July post on layering, where I humbly ask, Is anyone else layering? Now I guess I'm wondering Is anyone else layering Jo Malone?

Jo Malone's combining suggestion for White Jasmine and Mint
Red Roses
Orange Blossom
Vanilla & Anise
Nutmeg & Ginger

Art Credit:  Leon Baskt, Nijinksy



1 comment:

  1. This combination sounds wonderful, I can only imagine that it was fresh and tart, it's so sad when fragrances we love get discontinued. I look forward to trying Wild Cassis and Fig, perhaps with your suggestion of Grapefruit. Your note brought me back to my discovery of finding out about LUSH before it came to the U.S. It was just a fantastic feeling. Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to write. It's wonderful to hear from you. Valerie

    ReplyDelete